It was during the first year of my own clinical practise (BodyWise) that I developed a strong interest in women’s health, fertility, pregnancy and postnatal care.
Later that year (1999) I completed post-graduate training with one of Australia’s foremost experts in natural fertility management, Francesca Naish (Natural Fertility Management™) to specialise in Natural Fertility Management and Preconception Care.
My naturopathic areas of speciality evolved to include women’s hormonal health, natural fertility management, preconception, pregnancy and postnatal care. It was such a buzz working alongside clients as their conception and pregnancy dreams came to fruition. Even better was adding another gorgeous baby photo to my clinic ‘brag’ wall! (It’s crazy to think that many of those babies are out of high school!)
In 2003, I was drawn to expand my continuity of services. I wanted to bridge the gap between the last pregnancy visit and the first postnatal one, often weeks after the birth.
So, through extensive post-graduate studies, I became a Childbirth Educator and Doula.
BodyWise BirthWise was established in 2006 providing; naturopathic care from the preconception stage, throughout pregnancy, birth and through to the postnatal period; active birth workshops, childbirth education courses and doula/birth support.
I attended my first birth as a qualified doula in 2006 and have been involved in independent childbirth education since 2007.
I was also Perth’s presenter for Beer + Bubs: Childbirth educations for dads at the pub for over 2 years. I had the absolute pleasure of working with over 300 expectant dads during this time.
In 2012 I also completed my first training to become a Certified Placenta Encapsulation Specialist with Placenta Benefits (PBi).
Also launched in 2012 was the beginnings of my organic range of BodyWise BirthWise Herbal Products.
In 2013, I completed my Postnatal Doula training with Australian Doulas.
In 2016, I completed my Advanced Placement Training with the Association of Placenta Preparation Arts (APPA) to further my knowledge and accreditation in this fascinating field. I am now a proud APPA-C Placenta Arts Specialist.
I proudly hold Mentor Membership with Placenta Services Australia (PSA). This is the most prestigious level of membership awarded to placenta services professionals who have a strong technical knowledge of, and experience in, the industry and agree to be bound by the rules of the PSA Inc Constitution and Code of Conduct.
I am also the WA State Representative for the organisation. PSA is working on creating safe, professional and ethical standards surrounding placenta preparation services within Australia.
We strive to rule out the rogues and educate women on how to choose the very best providers amongst an unregulated industry.
Professional Qualifications & Training:
- Bachelor of Naturopathy (Health Science), Southern Cross University, 1998
- Advanced Certificate in Natural Fertility Management™, Francesca Naish, 1999
- Better Babies Preconception Health Care, Francesca Naish 1999
- Graduate Diploma in Childbirth Education, Associates in Childbirth Education, 2006
- Certified Placenta Encapsulation Specialist, Placenta Benefits Ltd, 2012
- Postnatal Doula Training, Australian Doulas, 2013
- APPA Placenta Arts Specialist, Association of Placenta Preparation Arts (APPA), 2016
- Australian Traditional Medicine Society (ATMS) – Accredited Member www.atms.com.au
- Association of Placenta Preparation Arts (APPA) – www.placentaassociation.com
- Placenta Services Australia – Mentor Membership & WA Rep www.placentaservices.com.au
- Birthing Kit Foundation Australia – www.bkfa.org.au – More about my involvement here
- Maternity Coalition – www.maternitycoalition.org.au
Click here for the short story and juicy bits.
Continuing Education and Professional Development:
- Thyroid Recovery Program – Practitioner Training, June 2020
- APPA Bloodborne Pathogens Training for Professional Placenta Service Providers (Internationally recognised certificate in IOSHA blood borne pathogens standard 29 CFR 1090.1030 training), September 2017, 2018 & 2019
- APPA Bloodborne Pathogens Prevention Course (International First Aid Science Guidelines compliant and OSHA 29 CFR 1910.1030 compliant) May 2017
- APPA Placenta Arts Specialist Certification, Association of Placenta Preparation Arts, 2016
- APPA Bloodborne Pathogens Prevention Course (CFR 1910.1030) 2016
- An Integrated Approach to Methylation: The Crossroads of Metabolism, Bioconcepts Seminar, 2014
- Sacred Belly Bind and Sealing Ceremony Training, 2-Day Webinar, Sacred Pregnancy, 2014
- Bloodborne Pathogens Training for Doulas and Placenta Encapsulators, Biologix Solutions, 2014
- Natural Care of the Postpartum Mother, with Tenielle Newton ND, Integria Health Care Webinar, 2013
- Power and Pain in Normal Childbirth, workshop presented by Rhea Dempsey, 2013
- Group B Strep Tele-seminar with Aviva Romm, Midwife/Herbalist/MD, 2013
- Miscarriage, Stillbirth and the Doula, Information session for the Doula, with Heidi Faith from Still Birth Day 2013
- Postnatal Doula Training, Australian Doulas, Perth, 2013
- Debriefing after Birth: Healing Trauma and Building Birth Confidence, with Jane Hardwicke Collings, Midwife and Educator at The School of Shamanic Midwifery. Tutorial, 2013
- Essential Care in Trimester One of Pregnancy, with Angela Hywood ND, Eagle Natural Health, Webinar, 2013
- Naturopathic Approaches to Supporting Antenatal and Postnatal Depression, with Amie Steel, Naturopath and Research Associate, University of Queensland. Webinar, 2013
- Empathy and Mothering, with Rhonda Boorman, School of Applied Psychology & Griffith Health Institute, Griffith University Queensland. Webinar, 2013
- Hormones of Motherhood: Power, Peace and Pleasure, with Dr. Sarah Buckley. Tutorial, 2013
- New perspectives for prenatal and postnatal probiotic therapy, Bioceuticals Seminar, Perth, 2013
- Pain in Labour: maintaining comfort and progress without drugs, workshop presented by Penny Simkin, 2012
- Placenta Encapsulation Specialist Training Course, Placenta Benefits Ltd. 2012
- HS Bloodborne Pathogens training (CFR1910.1030), 2012
- National Food Safety Practices Certificate (HLTFS207B), 2012
- ‘Introduction to Birthing From Within’ – Mentor & Doula Workshop – with Virginia Bobro of Birthing From Within, 3 Day Workshop, Perth, 2012
- Allergies, Autism, ADHD and Obesity: Managing the Emerging Epidemics of Childhood Seminar (Metagenics), Perth, 2011
- Next Birth After Caesarean Clinic: Outcomes, Clinical Management & Experiences Seminar by BirthRites and King Edwards Memorial Hospital – 2011
- Better Babies: Clinical Protocols for Preconception, Pregnancy & Reproductive Health Seminar (Metagenics), Perth, 2011
- Online classes with Gloria Lemay (Midwifery Educator & Doula Trainer)
– Haemorrhage – prevention & control
– Accessing cervical dilation from external cues
– Vaginal Birth After Caesarean (VBAC)
– Placenta: Third stage safety, Clamping & Cutting cord, Examination
– Anaemia and Blood Work
– Perineum: Preventing Tears
– Newborn Exam
– Epidural and Forceps
- Holistic Management of Thyroid Disorders and Infertility (Metagenics), Perth, 2008
- Breastfeeding Peer Supporter Training (Australian Breastfeeding Association) 2 Day Training, Karratha – 2008
- Understanding and Managing Women’s Health (Metagenics), Gold Coast, 2008
- 4th Annual National Doula Conference, Fremantle, 2007
- Childbirth Educator Workshop – 6 Day Workshop, with Birth International, Sydney, 2003
- Active Birth Workshop – 2 Day Workshop, with Birth International, Perth, 2003
- Management of Common Childhood Illnesses (Metagenics), Sydney, 2003
- Management of Immune Dysfunction & Carcinogenesis (Metagenics), 2002